The Good and the Bad: Observations from the Eagles 27-10 loss to the Titans
9 August 2019 Eagles News
The Philadelphia Eagles fell to the Tennessee Titans in their first preseason game 27-10. It was a big test for some players and some rose to the occasion as others fell. Without further ado, here’s the good and the bad that came out of today’s game.
First let’s start off with the good.
- Dallas Goedert looked very good, the second year tight end caught three passes for 50 yards. He displayed great route running in his way to a good day. The Titans first team defense couldn’t cover him at all. Goedert is going to have a big year.
- L.J. Fort showed a lot of promise at linebacker for the Eagles. He showed he can not only tackle but showed his ability to cover as a linebacker. Losing Kamu Grugier-Hill was a big loss, but Fort looks as if he can fill that void
- Andre Dillard proving he was worth the first round draft pick. Playing left tackle in the NFL isn’t easy, however Dillard was blocking the Titans with ease. His pass blocking and football IQ was on display tonight for sure.
- Nate Sudfeld will miss some time after breaking his left wrist. He’s having surgery tomorrow and thankfully, he will not miss the season. The backup quarterback role is important and Sudfeld is still developing, but losing him now is a blow to this team.
- The run game struggled mightily tonight for the Eagles. Josh Adams and Donnel Pumphrey both fumbled, Adams lost his. And, on the night all the running backs totaled just 37 yards on 17 carries. Yes, it’s preseason and guys like Jordan Howard and Miles Sanders barely had any attempts, however, the Eagles ability to run the ball effectively regardless struggled. Things will change when the season comes around but it’s something to work on.
- Jordan Mailata did not have a great game but any means. Transitioning into the NFL isn’t easy even for someone who’s played football their whole life. He’s still in the learning phase, but with a guy like Dillard on this team, there’s no time to struggle. He got beat for a sack and still has a ways to go.
The Eagles next game will be against the Jacksonville Jaguars on August 15th. Will we see Nick Foles again this former team?
Photo Credit: Michael Perez/AP